Frequently Asked Questions

Answers from Our Bellevue Criminal Defense Attorneys

  • When do I need a drug and alcohol evaluation?

    If you are arrested and charged with a DUI, you should obtain a chemical dependency evaluation as soon as possible. Even if the case is amended or reduced, an evaluation will be required. Courts will require chemical dependency evaluations on a case by case basis for other charges. Your attorney will most likely suggest that you obtain an evaluation if the facts of your case involve alcohol or drugs.
  • Where can I get an alcohol and drug assessment?

  • What should I expect at my evaluation?

    You will have a conversation with a chemical dependency counselor about your relationship with drugs and alcohol, they will give you have you answer surveys about your use of drugs and alcohol and you will be required to take a urine based drug test. After the evaluation, the provider will give a recommendation about how much treatment should be required. Treatment recommendations range from a day long class about alcohol and drugs to an inpatient treatment program.
  • How do I apply for my Ignition Interlock License?

    First, you have to get an Ignition Interlock device on your vehicle and SR-22 insurance. Then you need to apply for the license through the department of licensing. It takes a while for the DOL to process the application, so do not wait until your suspension is about to go into effect to apply. Click here for the application.
  • Where can I get an interlock device for my car?

    In September, the Department of Licensing once again increased the number of individuals in Washington State who have to drive with an interlock on their motor vehicle. The following list of interlock providers is not exhaustive. Please talk to different companies and compare your options before choosing an interlock company.

    If you cannot afford the monthly fee associated with the interlock device, there is financial help available from the Department of Licensing

    Guardian Interlock (800) 499-0994
    Intoxalock (888) 283-5899
    Smart Start (800) 880-3394
    LifeSafer (888) 855-0630
  • I missed my court date

    Quash Warrants

    If you miss your court date, you may be able to get the warrant taken care of without turning yourself into jail or paying a bond. It is essential that you call your attorney immediately to discuss your options. Different courts have different procedures for taking care of warrants.

    All of the district courts and some of the municipal courts in King County have warrant walk-in calendars. After signing up at the courthouse, you will have a chance to go in front of a judge and explain why you missed your court date. If you know you are going to be out of state for your court date or you know that you will be in in-patient treatment please call us at (425) 559-9449 so that we can attempt to get you a continuance and avoid a warrant.

  • How do I expunge my Seattle Criminal Charge?

    Remove your Bellevue or Seattle Criminal Charge

    After you have paid off all of your fines and completed all of the conditions of your sentence, you may be able to get your criminal charge removed from your record. You must remain crime free in the community for 3-10 years (depending on the crime) and you must file a motion with the court.

    Call us at (425) 559-9449 to discuss removing your criminal record.

  • How do I get SR-22 insurance?

    SR-22 is a form that an insurance company files with the state for high risk drivers. Many insurance companies carry this type of coverage, so it is best to ask your insurance company about SR-22 before going elsewhere. If you do not have the addition SR-22 coverage and are required to have it, your license will be suspended until your coverage is reinstated.
  • Where are the rules for driver’s license suspensions?

    Go to the DOL suspensions website. They provide information about the types of suspensions provided by the department of licensing and information on how to get your license back. Click Here
  • How can I find out if my license is suspended?

    The Washington State Department of Licensing has a site that will provide you the status of your license and information on how to get it back. Click Here for more information.
  • Where can I do the DUI Victim’s Panel?

    Everyone convicted of a DUI is required to complete a victims panel. Ask your treatment or ADIS provider if they offer a class (Many providers do). If they do not, King County offers a victim’s panel.

    King County DUI Victim’s Panel

  • Where do I find information on Washington State Law?

  • Where do I find current case law?

    Most attorneys subscribe to services like Lexis and Westlaw to obtain information about cases. Free information on the internet is not always accurate or up to date. If you would like to access free legal information I suggest the following sites:

    University of Washing Law Library Free Research

    WA Courts Homepage

  • Where can I find mental health treatment?

    Mental health treatment is often difficult to find. The Washington Chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness provides resources and advocacy for mentally ill individuals in Washington State.

    If you or a loved one in King County are in crisis, please call the crisis clinic at (206) 461-3222. If you feel that you or someone is in an emergency situation please dial 911.

    *Organizations who offer free or low cost services are marked with a star.

    +Organizations who offer Domestic Violence Batterer’s Treatment are marked with a plus sign.

    Associated Behavioral Health+ (425) 646-7279
    Assessment and Treatment Associates+ (425) 289-1600
    SeaMar* (206) 763-5277
    Antioch University Community Counseling Clinic* (206) 268-4840
    Sound Mental Health* (206) 302-2200
    Therapeutic Health Services* (425) 747-7892
    Valley Cities* (253) 833-7444
    Community Psychiatric Clinic* (206) 545-2354
    Harborview* (206) 744-9600
    Samaritan Center (206) 527-2266
    Asian Counseling and Referral Service (206) 695-7600
  • Where can I take my traffic safety course?

    Do not take the course online unless your attorney specifically suggests it. Most courts do not accept online coursework.

    Bellevue Probation Department Alive@25 - call us for more information
    National Traffic Safety Institute Anger Management, Theft Awareness, Defensive Driving, ADIS
    Court Service Institute

Contact Our Firm Today!

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side