Firm Partner, Personal Injury, and Criminal Defense Attorney
Howard S. Stein <[email protected]>
Howard Stein has been practicing law for over 30 years in Washington State. He has experience as a defense and civil attorney fighting for those who have been injured. He also teaches other attorneys and works with some of the very best scientific experts in the country. . He is also a member of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. Howard has a perfect "10" rating on AVVO.com. https://www.avvo.com/attorneys/98004-wa-howard-stein-14892.html. https://www.avvo.com/attorneys/98004-wa-howard-stein-14892.html
Howard started his career as an assistant prosecuting attorney in Pierce County. He is now a member of the Washington Foundation for Criminal Justice and the American Academy of Forensic Scientists. He has successfully represented hundreds of clients in personal injury, administrative, felony and misdemeanor cases. His emphasis is on cases involving scientific evidence often involving motor vehicles. That experience has helped him to successfully represent individuals injured in automobile accidents and defend individuals charged with DUI, Vehicular Assault as well as Reckless Driving, Hit and Run and Driving While Suspended. Mr. Stein has appeared in numerous municipal, county and state courts as well as winning cases before the Washington State Supreme Court.
Every day Howard takes pride in providing his clients with solid, clear advice. He represents each of his clients as if his life depended upon it. Howard understand that a person charged with a crime usually isn't a bad person and that they need a loyal, hardworking attorney who will fight for them and always keep their best interest in mind.
Over the years, Howard has successfully represented hundreds of people injured in achttp://[email protected]cidents. He has learned a lot about the mechanisms of accidents, injuries and illnesses. He is also a member of the American Academy of Forensic Scientists. He works with his clients, professional investigators, physicians and other experts to understand everything about a client's situation. This way he is able to give the highest quality advice and representation to his clients.
Contact Stein, Lotzkar & Starr, P.S. to schedule a free consultation.
or contact Howard at [email protected]
SPEECHES & APPEARANCES
- 2016 NCDD Conference Metrology 3.0 Science as Our Best Defense, San Diego, CA
- 2016 WFCJ Defending DUIs – Blood Warrants, SeaTac, WA
- 2015 NCDD Annual Metrology Seminar “Metrology Navigating the Legal Landscape”, Atlanta, GA
- 2014 NCDD Annual Metrology Seminar “Metrology 1.0 Science as Your Best Defense”, Phoenix, AZ
- 2014 National Chemical Dependency Professionals Conference, Lynnwood, WA
- 2013 Washington State Firefighter's Annual Union Conference, Bremerton, WA
- 2012 Washington State Firefighter's Annual Union Conference, Yakima, WA
MAJOR CASE RESULTS
- Snohomish County v. Sullivan, Snohomish County Superior Court, 2016
- Myers v. Lusitano, Snohomish County Superior Court, 2009—Successful One Week Jury Trial: Plaintiff's Personal Injury
- Seattle v. Clark – Munoz, Washington State Supreme Court, 2004—Unanimous Decision Excluding Admissibility of Breath Tests in DUI Cases
- Anonymous v. the City of Mercer Island, Co, U.S. District Court, 2002—Civil Rights Litigation Against the City of Mercer Island and the City of Mercer Island Police for violating inmates' rights while on Electronic Home Detention
- Grewal v. Dept. of Licensing, Washington State Court of Appeals, Division One, 2001—Analysis of Civil Jurisdiction
- Fournet v. Providence Medical Center, Snohomish County Superior Court, 1999—Complex Medical-Legal Litigation
- State v. Crediford, Washington State Supreme Court, Of Counsel, 1996—Successful Challenge to DUI Statute
- City of Seattle v. Dennis Correll, Washington State Court of Appeals, Division One, 1993—Discretionary Review
- Vaughn v. Christianson, King County Superior Court, 1992—Litigated over Two Weeks: Civil Fraud in the Sale of a Business
- Lyons v. Stansberry, et al, King County Superior Court, 1991—Successful one-week jury trial: Personal Injury Action
- In Re Janette and Glenn Sampson, King County Superior Court, 1989—Successfully prosecuted Removal of Guardians and Appointment of Custodian
- James Hess, et ux v. Burlington Northern Railroad, Pierce County Superior Court, 1988—Settled Complex Litigation Before Trial: Plaintiff's Personal Injury/Multiple Tortfeasors
- City of Kirkland v. Craig A. Salins, King County Superior Court, 1988— Granted: Writ of Habeas Corpus
- Flow Industries, Inc. v. Yie, King County Superior Court, 1987—Successful Defense: Employment Contract Violation Claim and Related Patent Assignment Litigation
- Guy Williams v. Dept. of Licensing, Wash. Court of Appeals, Division One, 1986—Successful Driver's License Appeal
- In Re: Natasha Webb, King County Superior Court, 1986—Successful three weeks litigated action: Contested Guardianship
- J.D. (1983), Seattle University School of Law (formerly University of Puget Sound) – Seattle, WA
- B.A., Creative Writing (1977), University of Colorado – Boulder, CO
- Martindale-Hubbell: Peer Review Rated, 2018
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers: Champion of Justice Award, 2017
- Washington Foundation for Criminal Justice: Certificate of Appreciation, 2010
- National College for DUI Defense: Certificate of Recognition, 2008
- Faculty, National College for DUI Defense
- Member, Washington Foundation for Criminal Justice
- Member, National DUI Defense College
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, King County Bar Association
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Former Member, King County Bary Associatoin, King County Judicial Screening Committee
- Member, Washington State Criminal Trial Lawyers Association
- Former Faculty, King County Trial Advocacy Program
- Admitted to Washington State Supreme Court
- Admitted to U.S. District Court, Western Division
- Admitted to the American Academy of Forensic Scientists
- Judge Pro Tem, King County District Court
- Martial Arts
- Member of Bet Aleph Meditative Synagogue
Recent Blog Posts
Washington State Court Closures
Our Breath Test Machines Have Problems
Some Forensic Blood Tests can mistake CBD for THC
Being stopped is one thing, fleeing can be a felony
Plan before you Party
I was very impressed with his professionalism and his experience level.I was hit by a car while while riding my bicycle by a driver with no insurance. I was given Howard Stein's name by a fellow firefighter, as I have had no prior experience with a lawyer. I was very impressed with his professionalism and his experience level. He was up front with every detail of th...
Very Knowledgeable, explained things very thoroughly, comfortable to talk to.Incorporation Help. Very Knowledgeable, explained things very thoroughly, comfortable to talk to and ask 'dumb client' questions. Very high recommendation. We used Howard incorporate and then to dissolve the partnership. Has written a liability release that our insurance company likes and a non-c...
Top-Shelf DUI Lawyer - will treat you fairly and get the job done.Top-Shelf DUI Lawyer I've had the pleasure of working with Howard on 3 DUI cases and I am proud to say that now two years after my last charge I do not have a single DUI on my record. Without Howard's connections and experience I not only would have gone to jail and risked my career but I would h...
Very prepared and was able to submit the proper evidence to get my charges completely dismissedI had an assault forth degree charge pending for 18 months. Mr. Howard Stein was very helpful and kept me informed throughout the entire process. When it came time to go to court he was very prepared and was able to submit the proper evidence to get my charges completely dismissed. I am very than...
Life Changing Attorney! More then proficient in handling my case and truly knowledgeable in how to get me the best result possible.Life Changing Attorney! Howard was more then proficient in handling my case and truly knowledgeable in how to get me the best result possible. With his help we were able to get me a substantially reduced charge that in the short term and long run will end up saving me tens of thousands of dollars...
Very attentive and always prepared and this resulted in outstanding results in my case.I highly recommend Mr. Howard Stein for legal matters. He is efficient, responsive, and very professional. He was very attentive and always prepared and this resulted in outstanding results in my case.
Gave me peace of mind in an otherwise very stressful circumstance. Thank you for providing an outcome that everyone said was impossible.Retain him! When you think of key words that accurately describe a lawyer kind, honest, and supportive are not the first to come to mind. I would happily encourage anyone to choose Howard to represent them. Howard gave me peace of mind in an otherwise very stressful circumstance. He's been in the...
Delivered the best outcome - all through hard work and persistence. A true professional - you cannot do better!Howard is an amazing hard working lawyer who really knows the law. Howard was easy to talk to and always put me at ease. He made me feel like I was getting legal advice from a trusted friend. Howard delivered the best outcome - all through hard work and persistence. He is a true professional - yo...
Excellent legal council -on top of everything and kept me well-informed.Excellent legal council Howard was great to work with, was on top of everything and kept me well-informed. I would highly recommend him if you need legal council!
A very professional and patient lawyer- works very hard for his clients.Hit and Run Defense. Howard Stein is a very professional and patient lawyer. He guided us through the whole process and gave us very detailed explanation as to what to expect. He works very hard for his clients.
Howard was was great-- the case was resolved to our whole families satisfactionI researched Howard through Attorney friends of mine when one of my underage (3 months before their 21st Birthday) children was arrested for DUI (0.04). Howard was was great--not only as an attorney but also as small -c counselor; As an attorney: 1. friendly ,concise 2. knowledgeable 3. very tran...